Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Social Lounge
Subject Topic: Map Time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SkyKrys
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/18/2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote SkyKrys

I finally get alittle time tonight to map. Just wondering how meany hour aweek on average you guys spend mapping?
Back to Top View SkyKrys's Profile Search for other posts by SkyKrys

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 11/18/2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote heruca

0 for me.

I spend any spare time on creating objects.

The thought of having to organize all my downloaded art scares me silly, and keeps me from mapping at all.
Back to Top View heruca's Profile Search for other posts by heruca

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 11/18/2006 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

<sigh> also 0 for me lately ...
Creating art, webmaster work, baby and work keep me from creating maps.

SkyKrys
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/18/2006 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote SkyKrys

heruca,i'm sorry to hear that.I must say i love the objects you create,and i thank you. Organize,man no way.I stopped that awhile back,now i just dump all my new art into new folder.50 to 100 pieces then start anew one.When i get ready to create something i just go through and copy what i want to a new folder.If i had to organize,i would never get anything done.         & nbsp;    
Back to Top View SkyKrys's Profile Search for other posts by SkyKrys

Alynnalizza
Hero
Hero

Posted: 11/18/2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Alynnalizza

WHen I was making maps I'd spend about 4 or 5 hours on a map. (Though admitedly this was 2~ years ago, so my memory may not be as good as it once was).

I might have used 1 or 2 maps per session.

My Web Page
Back to Top View Alynnalizza's Profile Search for other posts by Alynnalizza Visit Alynnalizza's Homepage

aegean
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 11/19/2006 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote aegean

0 or less for me too trying to learn hexagon 2 and Vue so i can produce objects

Ae

Arcana
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 11/19/2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Arcana

I'm currently a CC3 user and I map about an hour or two a day if I can...but I'm thinking about buying Dundjinni and using both.

I think they both seem to have strengths.

Back to Top View Arcana's Profile Search for other posts by Arcana Visit Arcana's Homepage

johnpaulstoddar
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/19/2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote johnpaulstoddar

I been doing alot of my Maps "as we go" durring Game time.

Project it on the way and show what the PCs see when they see it. No need to hid somehow the whole Map

"SHADOWS...We Don't Need no Shadows...Light Light Everywhere.."
"Without Light, there can be no shadows...do not fear the light, come towards the light away from the shadows."
Back to Top View johnpaulstoddar's Profile Search for other posts by johnpaulstoddar

johnpaulstoddar
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/19/2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote johnpaulstoddar

Arcana wrote:
I'm currently a CC3 user and I map about an hour or two a day if I can...but I'm thinking about buying Dundjinni and using both.

I think they both seem to have strengths.

So True, You won't regret buy Dundjinni.
I use CC3 also. I use it for Campaigh Scale and City Maps and Dundjinni for Interior Detail Maps

Welcome to the DJ Community

"SHADOWS...We Don't Need no Shadows...Light Light Everywhere.."
"Without Light, there can be no shadows...do not fear the light, come towards the light away from the shadows."
Back to Top View johnpaulstoddar's Profile Search for other posts by johnpaulstoddar

Arcana
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 11/19/2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Arcana

Thanks johnpaul!

I'm probably going to buy it friday...I just posted a dungeon map on my website (And I see you signed up there, thank you!) That is probably a bit closer to what could have been done easily and quickly with DunDjinni. I think I might find DunDjinni better for quick and easy maps since its primarily tile based...I think....I'll know for sure once I buy it...since I'm a completist, I must have both ;)

Back to Top View Arcana's Profile Search for other posts by Arcana Visit Arcana's Homepage

benwax
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/27/2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote benwax

I spend about 3-4 hours per week mapping on average. It helps that I can use the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics for inspiration. (and so can anyone_

Tough enough to do good detailed maps, but thinking up something interesting is beyond me (usually). Plus, the detailed room descriptions helps spark my imagination and inventive ideas.

Having a blast and encourage others to help!!! We need to map more of the DCC's and post them on the Goodman Games website!!! (Prester's Map and Chart Emporium)

Ben

Edited by benwax on 11/27/2006 at 9:36pm
Back to Top View benwax's Profile Search for other posts by benwax

Varl
Hero
Hero

Posted: 11/29/2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Varl

SkyKrys wrote:
Just wondering how meany hour aweek on average you guys spend mapping?

Very few lately, mainly because I'm concentrating solely on organizing all the user art I've collected over the years into my own folder structure, so that'll take me out of mapping anything for some time.

I know I haven't posted much art or maps here, but I plan on changing that eventually.

WayneFrancis
Janni
Janni

Posted: 11/29/2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Lately for me its been 0.

Trying to get my Virtual Table Top up to scratch has been taking any free time I have. .Net seems to have an issue of releasing memory of images over 6700x6700 pixel thus loading a new map results in a out of memory exception when I try to draw the image.

It would be interesting to see how much blu spends a week.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Darkness
Janni
Janni

Posted: 11/30/2006 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Darkness

0 for me as well. Spend most of my time making art and working. Haven't roleplayed in years, so I don't have a need for them, but I enjoy creating the art for all of you to use.

Maps and cartography are a hobby beyond DJ. I just love old maps and I have a large digital collections, that I only wish I could share, but can't because of copyright issues.

Example

Back to Top View Darkness's Profile Search for other posts by Darkness

Dahgda
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/01/2006 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Dahgda

I usually spend between 3 and 6 a week, depending on the campaign(s) I am running - right now, I am spending an amazingly large amount of time making the Ravenloft maps to scale, but sadly I cannot share them since WotC is being a pain in the backside about it - Kepli, I appreciate your input on that, but I had found the email link on their site and had emailed them before I saw your comment that they are too rigid about it. So I have the official no, which is silly - since not putting any of the actual adventure details in the maps (they are for players to see, after all...), you would think it would just encourage more people to use minis, which in the end would help sell their sets.

Anyway... sorry for the rant but that was just irritating to come home to see. I used to spend much MUCH more time mapping when I did this stuff by hand, and I am sure I will get to the point where I will make the basic maps in DJ then "art" them up with pencil and ink, but for now this is satisfying my love for maps.

Darkness - I am a huge map buff as well (history major in college, focused on medieval period), so I am sad cannot see what all you have collected. If my memory is right, that is a piece from a Dutch city, yes?
Back to Top View Dahgda's Profile Search for other posts by Dahgda

WayneFrancis
Janni
Janni

Posted: 12/03/2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Hmmm there is a question for the legal eagles out there. I would have thought creating maps for an adventure would be like me doing a drawing of Drizzt. I can put that original artwork up on the web.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Dahgda wrote:
If my memory is right, that is a piece from a Dutch city, yes?

Hey, that could very well be ...

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

WayneFrancis wrote:
Hmmm there is a question for the legal eagles out there. I would have thought creating maps for an adventure would be like me doing a drawing of Drizzt. I can put that original artwork up on the web.

Not a legal eagle, but I have picked up a few things by now
If the map you create is based on a description it's fine. If it is a copy of an existing map, you need permission from the original author (unless it is a free map of course).
I wouldn't be surprised if Drizzt representations are copyrighted.

Darkness
Janni
Janni

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 4:13am | IP Logged Quote Darkness

Amersfoort is the city
Amersfoort

Maps are out there - just need to hunt them down.

This by the way is a good site.
Back to Top View Darkness's Profile Search for other posts by Darkness

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 4:18am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Cool, I know Amersfoort ... thought not from the time that map is from

aegean
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote aegean

drive through Amersfroot quite often although i wouldn't try using that for a road map

and no comments from Mr Kepli about my navigational ability

Ae

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Maybe I should make the comment then

Mr_H
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/04/2006 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mr_H

I just reinstalled my program after a hard drive wipe.
I'm attempting to do at least one map a week for my game.

Sadly, I Seem to have lost all my old dja versions of all my old maps :(

Back to Top View Mr_H's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_H Visit Mr_H's Homepage

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 12/05/2006 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Ouch
Glad to see you are back on track though

Dahgda
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/06/2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Dahgda

Kepli wrote:
WayneFrancis wrote:

Not a legal eagle, but I have picked up a few things by now
If the map you create is based on a description it's fine. If it is a copy of an existing map, you need permission from the original author (unless it is a free map of course).
I wouldn't be surprised if Drizzt representations are copyrighted.

I probably could have gotten by had I not emailed them - now I know they will be watching for the posting, so... This is exactly what WotC does that is killing the industry - super high prices for products coupled with zero customer relations. Even if they said the maps had to be sent to them for review and had to be posted on the WotC site, it would just make more sense that they, ya know, worked WITH the people who buy their stuff??

Okay, I am gonna try and let this go now - this is not appropriate thread for this topic.

Thanks for the tip on the map sites - I have some bookmarked, but always looking for more!!! Now, I just need to win the lottery so I can buy original maps :-)

Edited by Dahgda on 12/06/2006 at 8:38pm
Back to Top View Dahgda's Profile Search for other posts by Dahgda

Gunmage Krys
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 12/12/2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Gunmage Krys

SkyKrys wrote:
    I finally get alittle time tonight to map. Just wondering how meany hour aweek on average you guys spend mapping?

I'm able to map 0-4 hours a week. Life is just that crazy sometimes. I wish I had time to learn Vue or Poser, but most it is devising new maps/adventures for my current campaign.

Back to Top View Gunmage Krys's Profile Search for other posts by Gunmage Krys

forumLurker
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/17/2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote forumLurker

On average, I spend -1 to -3 hours per week working on maps. Comparitively, I spend about 20-30 hours gaming and about 25 hours sleeping, on top of about 123,497,083:53 hours of schoolwork. Obviously, I don't really have as much time to map as I'd like.
~lurker~

"Well, I'm the Forum Lurker. I'm not Sneak Man. I'm not Hidey Boy. I'm the Forum *Lurker*."
Back to Top View forumLurker's Profile Search for other posts by forumLurker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version