Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Commercial Software
Subject Topic: Skirmish! VT now live on Kickstarter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TheSim
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/22/2015 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote TheSim

Hi everyone. I don't even know if this is the right section to post in but I just wanted to announce that our homegrown virtual tabletop "Skirmish! VT" is now live on Kickstarter.

Skirmish! VT Kickstarter

I hope you will find something of interest on our project page.

Have a nice day!

Need a highly reliable, fully customizeable virtual table-top?
Check out Skirmish! VT @ http://www.skirmish-vt.com A free trial is available NOW!
Back to Top View TheSim's Profile Search for other posts by TheSim Visit TheSim's Homepage

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 10/23/2015 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Very cool.Keep us posted on the progress, please

Unfortunately I am unable to pledge. It won't take my
credit card information ... tsk.

TheSim
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/23/2015 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote TheSim

Thanks Kepli, although every pledge is welcome you already are included in our internal list of backers due to sponsoring your trees. You receive the Baron level rewards automatically. :> (didn't I write something along these lines in an e-mail some time ago?)

Edited by TheSim on 10/23/2015 at 9:15am

Check out Skirmish! VT @ http://www.skirmish-vt.com A free trial is available NOW!
Back to Top View TheSim's Profile Search for other posts by TheSim Visit TheSim's Homepage

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 10/23/2015 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

To be honest, I forgot about that
But I would still have made a pledge

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 10/23/2015 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Looks very interesting, glad to see you were able to bring it to fruition.

A group that I just started playing with has been using Roll20 for a while, what is better about Skirmish that would make them want to change to it?

TheSim
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/24/2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote TheSim

Hi Bogie :>

Some other people have asked us that question as well so I'll just copy and paste some of the key differences:

Skirmish! VTs FoW is a real FoW, not a manual, make shift solution. It is automatic, it is customizable (per character), it includes map exploration, most importantly it works just like in any strategy or MOBA game you have ever played. No hassle, no manual manipulation, what you see is what you get. Additionally it can be set to display the vision of single characters or entire groups.

Skirmish! VT allows you to use private assets without any kind of restriction regarding size or type, since it is not browser based. In roll20 there are three tiers, the free one being limited to 5MB per asset and 100MB in total, and the paid ones to 10MB/1000MB and 10MB/2000MB.

This also means that in Skirmish! VT you can use high-definition maps (some of our maps alone are 50MB+ files due to their high details), whereas in roll20 you are limited to 5/10MB max. You can choose the size yourself and if you're worried about the size when using hi-res content our smart cache will make sure your clients will never have to re-download the same content twice.

In Skirmish! VT everybody has the same feature set, whereas in roll20 the number of features available are different for free subscriptions and paid subscriptions.
In Skirmish! VT you pay once and it is yours, forever, in roll20 if you want to keep using those advanced features you need to pay monthly, forever.

If the stretch goal #7 is reached, Skirmish! VTs Plugin API will not only allow the automation of some gameplay elements, but also allow radical changes to the user interface (actually the same way our internal plugins change the user interface since they use the very same API). The Plugin API from roll20 however does not allow you to change the core interface. Oh, and of course if the plugin API becomes available you will be able to just find plugins made by someone else online and try them out with the click of a button!

Of course there are many more differences, like the hi-quality content "out of the box", the easy custom map setup and import Skirmish! VT offers, but the differences I mentioned above are the most important ones I believe. Btw, feel free to correct me if some of my points are invalid now due to recent roll20 updates. I haven't kept track of it recently.

Edited by TheSim on 10/24/2015 at 4:36am

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 10/24/2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version