Subject Topic: Create-A-Cave (WIP) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Thanks Bogie.

Maxxx, that's a great suggestion. Thanks!

Bogie, I was thinking of maybe doing a network of rivers as well (as a separate expansion set) and I really love the water (over rocks) texture you used for one of your fountain pools. This one:

It's a beautiful texture, and with a bit of painted lighting it looks positively luminous. I wanted to ask if you'd mind sharing them, or point me to where you got them from?

Edited by Neyjour on 02/14/2012 at 6:08am

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Neyjour wrote:
Is there any interest in this?

Yes. As ProBono apparently thinks all in beige, seeing how others use subtle blue or whatever lighting gives many ideas. Sci-fi plant bioluminescence...

The board:
-perhaps an internal column tile. The cave wall edge in a circle on one of the inner boards (just off centre).
-the broken walls inside the cave perhaps might have a darker shadow, maybe about half the outer cave walls shadow, to emphasise their height(?)
-the white lines you added say - "you MUST add all 17 tiles" or you'll see the white line. Without the white lines you need only place a few and leave the rest as open cave.

You have chosen a 6x6 - note that it is almost a trivial matter to make a one of the Dungeon Tiles with just the outer walls and shadows. It could then be dropped on to turn them your tiles into instant Dungeon Tiles. Darker floor colour for that deeper level of exploration...

--- The Megalomaniac Approach:---

Why have a board?

Cut up the board edges into their own tiles (maybe they join "two squares in" or something). Voila. Infinite size "board". Infinite sized caves.

Joy!
Back to Top View ProBono's Profile Search for other posts by ProBono

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Quote:

-perhaps an internal column tile. The cave wall edge in a circle on one of the inner boards (just off centre).
-the broken walls inside the cave perhaps might have a darker shadow, maybe about half the outer cave walls shadow, to emphasise their height(?)

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I have no idea what I did the to the original cave wall texture. I didn't make a note of the alterations, and I didn't save the full texture (all I have is the "cutout" of the cave), so I wouldn't be able to reproduce it to make interior pieces. But it should be simple enough to do a cut & paste with an entirely new texture, and just swap them out...this time saving all the original stuff and making notes! (Stupid of me not to do that the first time around...)

Quote:

-the white lines you added say - "you MUST add all 17 tiles" or you'll see the white line. Without the white lines you need only place a few and leave the rest as open cave.

There will be 4 blank tiles to fill empty slots, so you don't have to have "elements" on every piece and can create as much open space as you like. Plus, the lighter colour (and white lines) make it much easier to place the tiles. Without that contrast in colour, it's a nightmare trying to line everything up seamlessly. The way it is now, if you have a gap of just 1 pixel, you can instantly see it.

Quote:

You have chosen a 6x6 - note that it is almost a trivial matter to make a one of the Dungeon Tiles with just the outer walls and shadows. It could then be dropped on to turn them your tiles into instant Dungeon Tiles. Darker floor colour for that deeper level of exploration...

I'm sorry...I've read that over several times and have no idea what you mean. Could you point me to some examples?

Quote:

--- The Megalomaniac Approach:---

Why have a board?

Cut up the board edges into their own tiles (maybe they join "two squares in" or something). Voila. Infinite size "board". Infinite sized caves.

I decided to go with a board simply because I really liked the idea and wanted to do something different. It's also a much simpler approach (rather than the megalomaniac one - LOL!!) and less headache for me, which makes it much more enjoyable. My "Continuum Caves" set was a complete PITA...trying (and failing) to get the walls on every single tile to match up seamlessly. With the board idea, I could just cut out the shape from a single, large texture and completely avoid that problem. That's also why I decided to go with square tiles for the floor rather than a dirt floor texture. Seamless textures work fine as long as everything is running in the same direction. But as soon as you rotate, the pieces don't match up anymore.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.   

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Hey Neyjour, It's been a couple years since I made those so I don't remember for sure what I used. I think the rocks come from this tile at cgTextures: CLICK

I think this is the water texture. I am sure I played with the transparancy of the water overlay but no Idea what I did exactly.

2 samples in the ZIP
DAC_WaterTrans01_dbl-a.zip

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Thanks!    I'll play around with them and see if I can duplicate what you did.

Here's the new wall texture (which I like much better than the original!), with the edges roughened up a bit to make it look a little more natural.

Saved all my steps and the full texture this time, so now I can make inner wall pieces.   

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/15/2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Combining Maxxx and PB's ideas...here's the first 3 inner wall pieces.   

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/15/2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Great variants!

Neyjour wrote:

Quote:

I'm sorry...I've read that over several times and have no idea what you mean. Could you point me to some examples?

...And thus the Dungeon Tile Set would grow, megalomaniac style...
Hope it makes sense this way. You of course have your own License so any such results would be personnal use
or whatever. Some of the tiles are multiples depending or rotation and the number of doors left.
Back to Top View ProBono's Profile Search for other posts by ProBono

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/15/2012 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Oh, I see what you mean! Yes, that's fine by me.   

Like my previous tile sets, I'll be allowing mods and maps for sharing/redistribution. My only rules are that I be credited, and also notified so that I can see what's been done with them and add a link at deviantART so others can find them. My only restriction is non-commercial use. That'll all be in the ReadMe when they're finished.   

Serendipitous
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/17/2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Serendipitous

Holy Smokes how did i miss this? awesome tiles, Neyjour!
Back to Top View Serendipitous's Profile Search for other posts by Serendipitous

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version