Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/29/2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Download the set: HERE

--------------------

This is a project I just started working on. (I hope it's okay to post it here, since it's going to be a freebie). Any thoughts/tips/input on the creation of dungeon tile sets would be most welcome.

I was thinking of releasing the first "starter" set with about 10 or 12 tiles. Each "add-on" set after that would contain maybe 4 or 5 tiles: Some would be repeatable (could be used multiple times in a single map) and some would be unique (containing a unique element or setting that you probably wouldn't want to use more than once in a single map).

Here's some of the templates I've done so far. Next step is to do the floors and cave walls, and then I can get started on the fun stuff (populating them with elements and other details, texturing, etc.)

Edited by Neyjour on 01/06/2012 at 2:16am

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/29/2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Cool Idea, are these going to be 6"x6" or 8x8? Can't wait to see how they come out.

To get some ideas this link is to a small older site with several dungeon tile maps similar to this project.

DREAM WEAVED WORLDS

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/29/2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

They're going to be 800x800 pix.

Thanks for the link. I actually found those a couple days ago, and they're what gave me the idea to try and make some of my own.

Here's what the walls and floor will look like:

Edited by Neyjour on 09/29/2011 at 11:16pm

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Very nice setup

Watch out for the wall shading. Looks like it also shows at each end of a wall and you don't want it there so all tiles can fit together seamlessly. Hope that was clear. Otherwise I will try to give you a sample this weekend

Reminds me to get of my butt and start selling the tile packs we build at Little Kingdoms.

Edited by Kepli on 09/30/2011 at 12:05am

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Thanks Kepli!

Yep, I understand what you mean. The drop shadows don't wrap around the ends of the walls. I think it's just the darker colour/texture on the ends that make it look that way.

Here's two fitted together. Do you think I should use a different texture for the walls? Something that's more evenly textured, to avoid those darker spots at the ends?

I figured out what's causing that darker area at the ends of the walls. It's the bevel effect I'm using to give them height. I have no idea how to avoid that, so I think I'm just going to leave it as it is.

Here's another version of the floor, a darker brown with cracks. Which one do you think looks better?

Or, the same cracked texture but not quite as dark:
(I'm kinda partial to this one, but I'd like to hear what you guys think).

Edited by Neyjour on 09/30/2011 at 1:39am

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

The texture of the walls works very well, even with the shadows at each end.
I personally like the grey colour the best for the floor. It has the best contrast with the walls.

Ravenbow
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Ravenbow

I really like the idea, but I am curious about one thing: With a non-square floor design, if you rotate them while placing won't it look off? (referring to the direction of the bricks)

I am sure this has been planned for but I had to ask.
Back to Top View Ravenbow's Profile Search for other posts by Ravenbow

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

I also like the grey floor with dark brown wall to get the better contrast. Choosing a different floor that is the same horizontal as vertical would help it match when one tile is rotated. To solve the beveled end problem, make the map a 1/2 inch larger, save it as jpg or png then trim the extra 1/2 inch off and it will cut off the bevel.

Try these tiles to see if you like them.

All the tiles were made by me from samples at cgTextures.com and are all in this ZIP: A58_BrickOld129_CG_bg-a.zip

JPG Examples

Edited by Bogie on 09/30/2011 at 8:03am

Dragonlady
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Dragonlady

Those maps remind me of a 'Dungeon' type game from back in the 70's. You played it on the floor (not on a table) with (I think) 5"x6" card stock. If your card couldn't match the ones on the floor already, you'd have a deadend or something like that. I have it somewhere around here. My son and his friends had a lot of fun with it. It's been at least 30 years since it was played and just gathering dust.

The floor tiles you mentioned seem a bit 'off' to me. Who went down underground and layed all that paving stone? :) Need a 'rocky', dirt, or what have you tiles. Shrug. Just my 2 coppers worth of opinion.
Back to Top View Dragonlady's Profile Search for other posts by Dragonlady

Eanwulf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Eanwulf

Actually, a nice rocky/dirty cavern floor with smatterings of paving stones would be sweet. Kind of a "Follow the Trail to Certain Doom" type of feel. You could then add more "geometricaly" designed shapes and patterns to your designs as if it went from rough hewn cavern to a carved out chamber. Goblins, kobolds, orcs have been known to do that sort of thing - i.e. fortify their guard posts/barracks, build shrines, temples etc.

Also...

When undertaking a task this large, it might be best to design the sections with any notion of having them being rotated omitted at first, at least until you figure out how to make them more universal in design - i.e. shadow placements, compensation for suddenly being upside down, etc.

All in all, it seems to be a stupendous endeavor, one I pray you don't burn yourself out on trying to finish!

Much support and admiration!!!

Gaming Rule #64: "If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like Pac-Man."
Back to Top View Eanwulf's Profile Search for other posts by Eanwulf

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version