Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Finished Fantasy or Sci-Fi Maps
Subject Topic: Gruenor’s MeadHouse a WIP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CoolAliasHere
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 03/15/2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote CoolAliasHere

Hello all. It's been a long time since I posted anything here. Now that I am gaming again, the mapping and painting have started back up. This is a current project I am working on for an upcoming session of Pathfinder. The encounter here will lead to a final encounter in a crypt type area below this particular area. The map here, while still a work in progress, is that of a local Mead House in a small town. The areas are numbered so I can explain kind of what they are.

Before I get into that, I want to take a moment to thank all of the people who have made objects for these forums and this program. I know I have snagged and used many of them, but I can not remember who specifically made each piece, so I will just say a collective thank you!

Gruenor's Mead House

1. Prep Room - This is the area that the fruits and such are mashed and prepared for cooking and fermination.

2. Cooking Room - This is the area where the mixture is heated and pushed through a series of stills at varying temperatures. (Note, there will be a room added for the barrelling of the mixture - I just havent added it yet. It will most likely jut off the south portion of room 2, and empty back into the main hall.)

3. Store Room - This is where the barrels are stored to age. The wooden walls are supposed to represent barrel racks.

4. Bottling Room - This is where the mixtures are poured from the barrels into jugs to be sold or drank. I prefer the latter.

5. This room has not yet been created, but was origianlly supposed to be an outside storeroom area. It is still to be determined.

6. Foreman's Desk - The is where the shop foreman sits and watches everything going on. It is a central location so he can easily view all the happenings at each stage of the process.

7. Tasting Room. This is the only area that players are actually allowed to enter without being questioned or asked to leave.   This the area where the final product is sampled, and a common room for gathering with friends and having a couple of drinks.

These descriptions are not the in game descriptions, and they will be tweaked as needed if anything in the map changes. So, what do you think so far?

Plans for the outside courtyard area are in the works, as well as a separate storage area. In addition to that, there will be an addition of the underground level (a door hidden under the rug - I know, how cliche) where the final batter will take place.

Hope you like it.

CAH

1 Square = 5ft
Back to Top View CoolAliasHere's Profile Search for other posts by CoolAliasHere

CoolAliasHere
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 03/15/2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote CoolAliasHere

I hope it's ok that I posted this map twice, but I made a couple of changes. I think I have the basics of the inside complete. I am missing the lighting effects that plan on putting in, but overall I am happy with what I have now. Hope you guys like it.

1. Prep Room - This is the area that the fruits and such are mashed and prepared for cooking and fermination.

2. Cooking Room - This is the area where the mixture is heated and pushed through a series of stills at varying temperatures. Added a Barreling area, with a small hallway to bring it out and around the kitchen area.

3. Store Room - This is where the barrels are stored to age. The wooden walls are supposed to represent barrel racks.

4. Bottling Room - This is where the mixtures are poured from the barrels into jugs to be sold or drank. I prefer the latter.

5. Storage and Aging - Added the external storage area, though it is connected by a wooden covered pathway to keep would be thieves from getting in. Indeed, the window beyond it (in the south wall of the tasting room) looks out onto a wooden wall, but who needs a view when you have great mead!

6. Foreman's Desk - The is where the shop foreman sits and watches everything going on. It is a central location so he can easily view all the happenings at each stage of the process.

7. Tasting Room. This is the only area that players are actually allowed to enter without being questioned or asked to leave.   This the area where the final product is sampled, and a common room for gathering with friends and having a couple of drinks.

Other notable bits... I added some stacked crates, lighting sconces, and various barrels stacked about in varying locations. I also changed the rug, and added a small table for the foreman to have as a food/drink table while checking the books and such.

Again, I hope you like it.

CAH

1 Square = 5ft
Back to Top View CoolAliasHere's Profile Search for other posts by CoolAliasHere

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 03/15/2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Very cool map
Excellent descriptions

Tip: try a greyish grid.

CoolAliasHere
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 03/15/2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote CoolAliasHere

Thanks Kep.

Thanks for the idea for the grid. This is still a WIP and I was going to lighten the grid before the finished product is printer. Now that you mention, though, I think gray would be much nicer than yellow, even lightened. Thanks for the input!

CAH

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 03/15/2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Great map! And interesting to see how it changed from the original to the improved version!

Definitely vote for the gray grid, yellow grids never looks good on the map.

And when you get done be sure you post a much higher resolution copy for us. Remember, you can go up to 2 MB in the ZIP upload.

CoolAliasHere
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 03/17/2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote CoolAliasHere

Here is the part currently named UnderMeadWIP. It is, still a minor work in Progress. I have to get it done since the game is quickly approaching. The concept of the who adventure is simple. The keep, the MeadHouse, the village, all of it is simply an elaborate illusion created by a Liche-like creature that inhabits the area under the mead house. In reality, the area is a decrepit old manor house, and the crypt is where he was imprisoned trying to become immortal. The party "accidentally" stumbled upon the area. Once they defeat him the area will be seen as it really is.

At any rate, the under portion consists of the original crypt, a small "workshop" - where the once human but now liche-like Maelston used to conduct unspeakable attrocities in the name of power. In the corner of the room is a cage suspended by a chain over a rather large pit. It is not clear what is at the bottom, and unlikely that one would want to drop down and find out. The smell is more than enough to tell you that. In addition to this, there is a small desk and chair where he would sit and watch the life drain from people on the rack, and actually time how long it took them to die. He was under the impression that by studying death, he could learn how to cheat it.

Beyond this room, the "Throne" room. This is where Maelston sits and watches the goings on, and controls the illusions he has created above. He can not actively see what the group is doing, unless an "extension" - one of the "living" illusions - is with the group. Using the two mirrors in front of his throne allows him to see what the extensions see, and allows him to control them, much like a puppet master.

So, keep in mind, this the first time I have messed with lightening effects since I started mapping again. I think they have come out ok, though I am still doing so tweaking.

1 Square= 5ft

HiRes Map..
D52_UndermeadWIP.zip

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 03/17/2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

The lighting looks good!
Nice work.

Ryder Hook
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/22/2011 at 3:53am | IP Logged Quote Ryder Hook

Very cool maps. I had the same problem with the grid and switched over to applying the grid afterwards in photoshop.

The customized grid is as visible as the "standard grid" but adds a touch of "reality" (or maybe this is just my vanity/designerish streak popping in

If you would like to have the more natural grid, just drop me a line and I post it in the forum for downloading.

Edited by Ryder Hook on 04/22/2011 at 3:56am

wolfboy
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/22/2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote wolfboy

I'd love that grid. And, I'd also like to know how you made it in Photoshop.
Back to Top View wolfboy's Profile Search for other posts by wolfboy Visit wolfboy's Homepage

Ryder Hook
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/23/2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Ryder Hook

Well actually ... the grid is handdrawn on paper - you know the stuff people used to write on before eMail ;-).
I used copic markers, filled the spaces, used some ink here and there, cross-hatched it, scanned it, and deleted all the "not quite so good" parts in photoshop.
So I made the basic grid. Afterwards I had to copy and paste a lot to get an adequate size for my boardgames and tiles.

How to use with DJ:
Finish your map in DJ and set grid to invisible, export or print via PDF and open in photoshop. Insert as extra layer on top (or whereever you deem it appropriate9 and delete all the parts of the grid you do not need. et volia - map is ready to go ;-)

The original grid-file has 98MB, due to its size and resolution - no way to bring this up to DJ, so I uploaded it for everyone to rapidshare: click here for download

The file is a packed PSD - have fun ;-)

Edited by Ryder Hook on 04/23/2011 at 5:50am

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/23/2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote heruca

Ryder Hook wrote:
the grid is handdrawn on paper - you know the stuff
people used to write on before eMail ;-).

Handdrawn? Cool! It's an often-overlooked image creation method, these
days.

Thanks for sharing your grid.
Back to Top View heruca's Profile Search for other posts by heruca

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 04/23/2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Sweet!!! That can be dropped over any stone texture and make great floors.

wolfboy
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/23/2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote wolfboy

Bogie wrote:
Sweet!!! That can be dropped over any stone texture and make great floors.

Precisely.
Back to Top View wolfboy's Profile Search for other posts by wolfboy Visit wolfboy's Homepage

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/24/2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Hi CoolAliasHere,

Only suggestion for the excellent map might, perhaps, be a loading ramp / bay for carts. This allows for exports and the robbing of the carts on the roads. (Or else the guys at the three tables drink a lot.)

Hi Ryder Hook,

Grid: very nice effect! For Dundjinni, a possibility may be is to chop it up into a lot of manageable sizes (maybe 4x4,5x5 squares, 6x2 rectangles, etc.) for use as a COVER set...(?)

Edited by ProBono on 04/24/2011 at 3:58am
Back to Top View ProBono's Profile Search for other posts by ProBono

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 04/24/2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

I did chop it up, and overlaid it on some rock and marble textures and that made some great new floor tiles!

The hand drawn grid looks fantastic Ryder!

You can check out the new tiles here: FLOOR TILES

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

I would love to have that chopped-up set

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 04/26/2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Kepli wrote:
I would love to have that chopped-up set

I was already working on making a set of 4x4 covers to stamp onto floors.

GET GRID-COVERS HERE

Warwick
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 06/30/2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Warwick

Hey, anyone able to resurrect the broken link?
Back to Top View Warwick's Profile Search for other posts by Warwick

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 06/30/2019 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Warwick wrote:
Hey, anyone able to resurrect the broken link?

I don't still have the original, and I doubt the rapidshare link can be resurrected, but if you use the link in my post above you should be able to get the 4x4 pieces I made which include almost all of the different combinations in the large grid.

Ryder Hook
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 07/01/2019 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote Ryder Hook

Hi guys, long time no see
Your Mail reached me concerning the "Lost Grid of Ryder Hook" ... gimme a second, I'm going to reupload it ...

Ryder Hook
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 07/01/2019 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote Ryder Hook

So, said and done,

THE GRID as (.rar) PSD can be downloaded at: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/N017GYTPSV

THE GRID (with layers) as TIFF can be downloaded at:
http://www.share-online.biz/dl/XFBGGYTPPENK

TTFN

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 07/01/2019 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Thanks Ryder Hook! Nice to see you on the Forums again!

Ryder Hook
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 07/01/2019 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Ryder Hook

Yes, glad to see some life in the forum again. I was a bit sad about the decreasing action here.

Any news regarding the owner of Dundjinni? It seems like DJ (as a program) is on the retirement shelf now.
Like I said in 2011, if the "no action status" continues, the program and members will dwindle away ...
I tried to buy Dundjinni (rights or company) to revive the program and resurrect the fan community, but no response to my mails and other efforts to contact and get into negotiations. Well that was 2011 and me doing big time in the game design industry, meanwhile the Focus of my company switched over to Corporate Design and Branding. Neverless it would be nice to see more action here and have a living community.

Perhaps i am going to make another Grid . I think a vector design would be perfect, so everybody can expanded and shrink it, like he or she wants.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version