Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 12/02/2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Hi Daniel,
Open source is a whole other issue I believe,
Yahzi issue is that the software isn't free. I've thought about this and this is what would have to happen for DJ to take a business model like DAZ.

Basically the community artwork would go away.
A large business load would be shifted to Dundjinni Enterprises Inc.
All community artists wishing to submit artwork would have to sign contracts with Dundjinni Enterprise Inc stating things like the work is their own work or they have legal authority to sell, distribute and transfer selling and distribution rights to the artwork.
Dundjinni would probably have to adopt a model like Apple use with their iPod developers where DJ just takes a cut of the profits with one exception. Since iPod's cost money and the more software that is out there, free or not, the more attractive the iPod is to purchasers. Since the request is for a DAZ type model all artwork would cost money, minus specials that might be given to users that sign up for a "Platinum" membership (costing more money upfront. Dundjinni Enterprises Inc would end up just taking a cut of each sale. Probably a minimum amount to cover administration costs then either a fixed amount to cover costs of DJ development per unit sold or a % of the remaining profit (Apples model)

What does this mean for the community?
Free software
All artwork will cost you
You can't even use your own artwork.

The reason DJ's community is small is that table top gaming is just not that big of a market and by its nature only a small subset of that community would use a tool like DJ.

Daz on the other hand has a huge market. I've personally got a half a dozen different friends that have all taken courses on 3D graphics and modeling and non of them will ever use it beyond just playing. Flip that over I've got a half a dozen friends that are interested in table top gaming, all but 1 in my gaming group, and only I would use DJ to make maps with. The others if they do DM don't put that much effort into the game.

Back to an open source model...this even lowers the profits even more. Open source is great for a few types of markets.
1) Large commercial markets where you can make money of things like support
2) Academic projects that might ask for donations but the project is getting worked on reguardless
3) Geek projects where people do them for the geek factor and money is not an issue at all.
4) Commercial products that use an existing open source project as a base because the development cost drop considerably and IP of the final piece is not and issue.

DJ doesn't really fit into this. If you can get table top gaming into #1 then an open source model might work.

Personally I don't work for DJE. I hope Mindy makes money off the work she is putting into Dundjinni Enterprises. This is because I know that while she loves the industry if she can devote more of her time to it that Dundjinni Enterprises can thrive and that has a direct effect on what kind of product that we the customers will receive.

If Dundjinni went to an open source model I know the uptake would be higher but any and all profits would stop almost completely.

This is, of course, my own opinion. As my own opinion you do not have any requirement to agree with any part of it and are allowed to have your own opinion that differs in any amount from my own.

Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Skaryn
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 12/14/2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Skaryn

Hmm, I just bought the software, and read through the EULA. I was planning on integrating the maps into a 2d top downish rpg I am developing with TorqueX. It would seem, according to point 2.5 D in the EUlA, this is not possible? Or can I use it, but just avoid all the art that comes with it? (At which point I can use other editors) I just realized I may have tossed some money down the drain. Any thoughts are welcome.
Back to Top View Skaryn's Profile Search for other posts by Skaryn

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/15/2008 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard Skaryn

Just using user-art is ok, but please send an email to the Store with your project info and what you want to use DJ for to see if more is possible
Address: store(at)dundjinni.com

Skaryn
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 12/15/2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Skaryn

Thanks for the reply Kepli, it is appreciated. I sent an email to webmaster(at)dundjinni.com earlier, do they goto the same person?

Skaryn
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 12/15/2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Skaryn

So it would seem , based on the Folder Tutorial that I can just delete out the Fantasy/Dungeon and Fantasy/Wild folders, then import images from say the CSUAC, my world creator 2.5++ images, artwork from the user section of these forums into the user folder section, and everything would be ok?

SlatzG
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 12/17/2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote SlatzG

I'm new to this product, and i'm strongly considering buying it, but had a question about it first. I read the EULA, searched the forums, and haven't quite had an answer to my question pop out at me yet. Could someone, plainly, tell me know the answer? I want to make a map using Dundjinni, publish the map in an adventure, and sell it. Would i be allowed to sell it? What would be required to do so?
Back to Top View SlatzG's Profile Search for other posts by SlatzG

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 12/17/2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

Short answer: yes, you could publish and sell a map or adventure for tabletop RPG gaming.

However, if you use any DJ artwork in your product, then there are credit requirements (note: some artpacks, such as the Skeleton key Games material, cannot be used in commercial products). If you do not use any DJ artwork, the credit requirements do not apply.

Caveat: I am not an official spokesperson for DJ

SlatzG
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 12/17/2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote SlatzG

Thank you for the reply, nonetheless! If there's anyone that could confirm that, I'd feel much better. No offense, I just don't want to jump into purchasing something I don't 100% know would be suitable for me.
Back to Top View SlatzG's Profile Search for other posts by SlatzG

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/17/2008 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard SlatzG

I can confirm what Cecil posted.
The only two art-packs you cannot use to create commercial maps are the SKG art-pack and the Reaper Tokens pack. Dundjinni Enterprises doesn't have the rights to give permission for those packs. All other DJ art-packs can be used to create commercial maps. We do require you to add a credit line when doing this.

When using just user-art from this forum, you can do commercial maps without restrictions and no credit is required (but nice to add of course ). But watch out for user-art that has a non-commercial restriction. Best is to not download that art (it's a very, very, very, very small part of the total amount of user art).

If you have more questions or need more details, let us know

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/17/2008 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Skaryn wrote:
So it would seem , based on the Folder Tutorial that I can just delete out the Fantasy/Dungeon and Fantasy/Wild folders, then import images from say the CSUAC, my world creator 2.5++ images, artwork from the user section of these forums into the user folder section, and everything would be ok?

True, but why throw those folders away? Just don't use art from those folders in DJ when you create a commercial map. However, the default DJ art (from the Wild and Dungeon folders) can also be used to create most commercial maps. Perhaps not the ones you like to create, but that is something you should hear from Mindy.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version