Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Product Releases
Subject Topic: EULA update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/13/2008 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Since 99% of the people use DJ for making RPG maps, I believe the EULA change is a huge step forwards. And to make things clear about using DJ to create commercial boardgames, use in computer games and other products, here is a quote from Mindy: "Just DJ art is limited in use you can use DJ with user art to create boardgames or computer games." This still limits people in the use of the DJ art, but since we have about 30.000 pieces of user art ...

Phergus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Phergus

That's all well and good Kepli but that isn't what the EULA says. Maybe next time the EULA gets updated someone should write down what they want it to mean and then give it to the lawyer.

Kepli wrote:
Since 99% of the people use DJ for making RPG maps,...

Better to have a couple hundred users making RPG maps than thousands of users making maps for whatever they want.

Kepli wrote:
... I believe the EULA change is a huge step forwards.

While an improvement this was an opportunity to completely fix the original bad decision and it was wasted.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Perhaps the EULA could be better, but that doesn't change the fact that only DJ art is restricted. So you can make whatever maps you like using user art.
And of course we still cater to our main audience; the RPG map makers ... for now

Mindy
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Mindy

Please keep in mind that we only have the rights in DJ art that were granted by Fluid as part of the purchase.

If enough users were willing to pay a premium (say $100-200 apiece) to use DJ art to create commercial boardgames, software, etc - then we could purchase such rights - but I doubt we have enough such interest to make the purchase economically justifiable.

Finally, valid point about unclear EULA language - in the next DJ build, we'll clean it up. In the meantime, it is our policy that the restrictions on use of DJ output are limited to output containing DJ art only. If you use only user art in DJ, you can use the resulting output for commercial purposes such as board games and software.

Edited by Mindy on 04/14/2008 at 10:57am
Back to Top View Mindy's Profile Search for other posts by Mindy

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

You know, I never actually knew about those Fluid rights
It does make things a lot clearer   

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote aegean

Cool - If due to the original purchase rights will not allow the use of core art then there is little that can be done. Users will just have to work around it by using their own art or art from users.

It would seem to me by what Mindy has just said that there is no mallice on DJ's part its just that their hands would seem tied.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

ae

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 04/14/2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

I agree--it seems like DE is providing as much flexibility as they are authroized.

Like anyone else, I would like more. But I certainly understand and appreciate the situation. Thanks!

VarchildMarquee
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/15/2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote VarchildMarquee

Kepli wrote:
And of course we still cater to our main audience; the RPG map makers ... for now

That's fine, but in reality any map you put on a table and use miniatures, tokens, or any other marker meant to represent a player or character while hosting a session of turn-based actions with a goal to success or failure in mind, is a board game. Look at the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Board game or Xena Warrior Princess Board games, or for that matter, Arkham Horror, Zombies!!!, D&D Miniatures, all of these are classified as Board Games. Any tabletop roleplaying session involving the use of a map, when physically set up on a table with representative figures in play, is a board game, so again the line gets blurred. What is legal?

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/16/2008 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Maps made for a RPG module/adventure/campaign could be seen as boardgame-like, but those are only meant to spice up a roleplaying game, not as the main focus of a game. Take away the map and you can still play the adventure, not so with a boardgame. I think therein lies the difference (or one of them).

I do think we need a better definition of a RPG game compared to Boardgame though. In that I can agree with Varchild Marquee.

johnpaulstoddar
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote johnpaulstoddar

oh good grief     is there that many lawyers in this world.

How many pages are gonna be wasted on this?

Very simple, as already stated, A Boardgame requires a defined playing surface that require set starting places for all pieces.

Ancient games
Chess
Backgammon
Modren Game
Risk (axis, allies)
Monopoly (go)

All have variation but they all require a defined board to play, without a board you can't play.

Try playing "Life" or "Chutes and Ladders" without a Board or any of the others.

People we have been given the ability to make Maps for Commercial purposes with less restriction quit trying to complicate things..please.

Sure theres more uses for Maps than just RPGs. Novels but lets face it. A DJ Map scaled down to fit in a paperback is gonna suck anyways. DJ is best suited for Battlemaps.

"SHADOWS...We Don't Need no Shadows...Light Light Everywhere.."
"Without Light, there can be no shadows...do not fear the light, come towards the light away from the shadows."
Back to Top View johnpaulstoddar's Profile Search for other posts by johnpaulstoddar

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version